Monday, October 24, 2011

Stain Removal Secret

As a busy mother of 2 children ages 2 and 1, I find my clothes with more stains now than ever before! Not to mention my children's clothes after 1 wear look like they are years old! I have been through every name brand product to attempt stain removal, and declared many of our favorite clothes "lost"... however, my Mom has always been able to get just about any stain out of any fabric- so I finally started following her advice, and it's so simple and cheaper than the name brand stain products! Here's her step-by step of a pair of my shorts:

DSC_0001
Here's the stain. Greasy sausage spilled down my shorts. This method is especially good for grease and tomato/red based stains that are usually the hardest!


DSC_0004
Here are my two little tricks: 
Lighter Fluid and Dawn dish soap (please note it HAS to be Dawn!) 

DSC_0005
Start with the lighter fluid- squirt enough to cover the stain

DSC_0007
Then spread the Dawn dish soap into the stain. I just rubbed the soap in gently with my fingers- but you can scrub the material together if the stain is deep/old or bigger. 

Then, I just toss them in with my normal laundry.... AND:
DSC_0009
VIOLA! 

All gone!

A few tips to this method: If you just use the lighter fluid the first round, the grease may lift out of the clothing, but I've found sometimes it leaves a ring around where the lighter fluid was (on some thin fabrics, like t-shirts) and so then you'll have to do the step again with just Dawn. That's why I started combining the methods. For color stains without grease- you can just use the Dawn. For more color filled stains, if after the wash cycle, you notice they are still set, DO NOT put them in the dryer, instead lay them outside in direct sunlight for up to 5-6 hours. It's important they are laid out wet- a lot of times I will lay them out wet at night, let the evening/morning dew re-wetten the clothing and let the sun soak on them all day. The sun will lift those color stains right out. You'll have to wash the item again, but it has a very high success rate! White clothes are the hardest to get color stains out of- but I use the bleach stick to touch up those. I've also heard hydrogen peroxide works like a charm on blood stains- I have used Dawn with success on those, but it might be worth a try, too. And hairspray does lift pen/marker on fabrics if you can't get them in the wash machine (i.e. couch, fabric chairs, etc.) 

If you have any laundry secrets, leave a comment! 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips, i'll have to give this one a try. I have 3 young children and it's a nightmare to get the stains out and my husband works at an Indian restaurant and curry stains are just the worst!!

    would love it if you could share this on my link party - Serenity Saturday - over at www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    Natasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for stain tips.Here's mine for what to do when you wash/dry a tube of dark red lipstick w/ a load of whites:
    http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-to-do-if-you-wash-and-dry-tube-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip i can really use this!

    Julianne

    www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby always has stains on his shirts from working at the bar (beer, grease, etc). I will have to try this! Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erica, thanks so much for the great tip. Sorry I'm so late in commenting. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete