Monday, March 9, 2009

Some Ideas...

A few ideas that aren't really original recipes, but just ways to some traditional meals delicious. I love eating at other people's house to steal their traditions and ways of cooking, so here are a few of mine!

Saturday, we had Steak Fajitas, Rice, Beans, Chips and Salsa and Guacamole, yum! I use an envelope of Old El Paso Fajita Seasoning and strips of steak that are pre-cut at my grocery store- add green, red, yellow peppers, onions and it's all set! Too easy! The rice I recommend is Rice-A-Roni Mexican Style. I use fat-free refried beans and mix in cheddar cheese and Taco-Bell hot sauce. For guacamole, I use an envelope of seasoning with the avocados- plus chopped onion, cilantro and chopped tomatoes. I was going to take a picture, but it was seriously gone before I could get to my camera. So good!!

Sunday, Andy grilled Rib-Eye Steaks- our secret to great steaks is our charcoal grill, Andy's skills...and Worcheshire Sauce, Garlic Salt and Chef Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic. It is really good seasoning! I made baked potatoes and 'steamed' broccoli to go along with it. I melt butter in a skillet, and some sesame seeds until they are toasted, then add the broccoli until it's bright green. I add chicken broth, Nature's Seasoning (another must have on the seasonings), cover and let simmer until we're ready to eat. So yummy! The baked potatoes- I cover in shortening or butter, sprinkle on pepper, garlic powder and kosher salt- wrap in aluminum foil and bake. The skins are so tasty that way!!

We are always hungry by the time we eat- so I like to have some kind of appetizer set out. One of our favorites has become Edamame. It's normally a Japanese food, but we eat it at least twice a week before any meal- we buy them frozen, in the pods, and heat them up in the microwave with kosher salt. They are fun to pop out of the pods, are healthy and good for you- and help tide you over until dinner is ready.

Sorry no pictures, but just a few ideas for you to try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment