Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pumpkin Pecan Layer Pie

DSC_0088
I'm going to be posting some of our Thanksgiving recipes- I realize it's too late for everyone to make for this year, but it's really more for me to have them handy for next year! We spend every holiday in different places and with different people- but I love making some of our families' favorites to bring "home" to wherever we are! This one is a pie Andy's Grandma Allen made the last Thanksgiving we had with her. She and Grandpa were so happy to make a copy of the recipe and share it- it makes me smile thinking of her when I make it!

INGREDIENTS:
15 oz. can of pumpkin
12 oz. can of evaporated milk
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3 eggs
2 graham cracker crusts
18 oz. pkg of butter pecan cake mix
1/2 cup chopped pecans, divided
1 cup melted butter
Whipped Cream (I make my own using 2 cups of heavy whipping cream, 1 tsp vanilla and 6-8 TBL sugar- and just beat with a hand mixer until peaks form)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350. Stir together pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, spice and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Pour 1/2 the pumpkin mixture into each pie crust. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cake mix over each pie. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of pecans on each pie. Pour 1/2 cup melted butter over each pie. Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil to keep from over-browning during baking. Bake for 40 minutes. Allow pies to cool before cutting. Serve with whipped cream!

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I would love to have you link up at my blog! http://cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-makes-you-say-mmmmm-4-and-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Tuesday! This really caught my eye, everything good in all layers! :o)
    http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete