Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cinco De Mayo

Well, no pictures... sorry...but the food was gone before I had a chance to get any! I cooked up some Mexican themed food to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. I made Pioneer Woman's Enchiladas, Guacamole, Rotel/Velveeta Dip, Salsa and Chips and a Sugar Cookie Pizza Dessert. You can click here to get to PW's recipe. I personally wasn't as impressed with the enchiladas as I have been with her other recipes. They lacked in spice (of course, I like things HOT!) and the canola oil was a little too strong for my tastes. It might have been me more than the recipe, but it does make a BIG mess and my house smelled like enchiladas for days afterwards... not sure I'm going to be making them again anytime soon! 

Here is the Sugar Cookie Pizza Recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
1 roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough (I used the Great Value brand)
1 8 oz tub of Cool Whip (I used fat free)
1 brick of cream cheese (I used 1/3 fat free)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Fruits:
Strawberries (washed and sliced)
Kiwi (washed and sliced)
Mandarin Oranges (drained, out of a can)
Pineapple (small chunks- drained, out of a can)
Blueberries (washed)
You can use pretty much any fruit you want to and it will be delicious!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Form the cookie dough into a ball and press down onto a pizza stone. You can use a roller to even out the dough even more, but you want it to resemble a pizza crust. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown (but not too brown, you don't want it dried out!) While that's baking, mix together the cool whip, cream cheese and sugars. It helps if you let the cream cheese soften, and you might use an electric mixer to blend it better. You can use more or less sugar to fit your tastes. You will want to let the dough cool about 5-10 minutes before you spread the topping on. (If you want to serve it on a platter, you should try to remove the cookie before putting the toppings on... I always just keep it on my stone.) During the cooling time, you can wash and slice your fruit. Once the dough has cooled, spread the cream cheese/cool whip topping on (like you would pizza sauce on top of the dough). Using the fruit like pizza toppings, place them on top. I don't leave any empty space- my entire "pizza" is covered in fruit. Cover loosely with foil or clear wrap and put in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment