Saturday, November 17, 2012

Grandma's Freezer Pickles

DSC_0062
My grandma always makes these with cucumbers from her garden in the summer! I love that it's something I can do without canning and when I found a bulk of keiki cukes from the Big Island on sale, I knew I had to make these! So yummy!

INGREDIENTS:
8 cups sliced cucumbers
1 onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced (I use the mandolin on those three ingredients to get them sliced very thin!)
1 TBL salt
2 cups sugar
1 TBL celery seed
1 TBL mustard seed
1 cup vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
Mix 1st four ingredients and let stand for 2 hours. Drain the mixture. Add last 4 ingredients together in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Let cool. Pour liquid over the cucumbers and put in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Stir once a day. On the 3rd day you can put in freezer contains to freeze (or they are ready to eat!).

No comments:

Post a Comment