Thursday, December 15, 2011

Super Special Salad

DSC_0002
Salad is one of my FAVORITE things to eat! One of my favorite hometown restaurants (Aldo's) has a salad called "Super Special Salad"... since I'm far away now, this is my best effort to recreate it! When you go to the restaurant, it is PILED high on your plate- but this was just a side dish, so I made them small.

INGREDIENTS:
Romaine, Greenleaf and Butter Lettuce
Salami, sliced
Shredded Italian Cheese (I used provolone- but mozzarella would be good, too: provel would be the best, but it's not available around here)
Hearts of Palm, sliced/diced
Artichoke Hearts, sliced
Green Olives, sliced
Black Olives, sliced
Tomatoes, sliced

Pepperoncini
Salt/Pepper
Vinegar/Oil or Italian Dressing

DIRECTIONS:
I lightly toss the lettuce with a very small amount of vinegar and oil. The toppings have so much flavor themselves, I don't want a heavy dressing. Then top with the remaining ingredients, and add salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!
    They should have Imo's Provel at Schnucks.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Provel_imos.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh :( I thought you were still in Washington :(

    ReplyDelete